Monday, July 6, 2009

Da da da daaaaaaaaa.....


July 1, 2009 067, originally uploaded by MistyHCunningham.

I'd like to introduce you all to Peasley Slocombe. He is the "replacement" for Sheldon. Sheldon isn't dead, have no fears, he's just paralyzed. There was no way to fix his right hinge and in the efforts to fix him, he was glued in the open position... it's a looooong, traumatic story that ended in my father helping us get Peasley since Sheldon's paralyze-ation was his fault. And being paralyzed in a flat position is quite inconvenient in a laptop.

In any case, Peasley is a metallic blue, "seashell" Asus Eee PC. The picture above is him on my lap. He is quite tiny compared to Sheldon, his keyboard is about half the size of S's. It's actually been much easier adapting to a small keyboard than I thought it would be. His battery life is impeccable and he is incredibly light (just over 2 pounds!) The most difficult thing to get used to has been the trackpad. I have had some difficulty in the last few days with accidentally hitting the scrolling area of the trackpad when I'm trying to move the mouse. For the first day I used Peasley, I accidentally rested my thumbs on the trackpad while typing and had problems with accidentally moving the cursor so I was tying in the middle of things already typed... and man, was it a "curse-or" then! However, I've gotten quite used to the trackpad being where it is, so that is no longer an issue. I'm sure in time the scrolling won't be any problem either.

Peasley's has 160GB hard drive and 1GB memory currently. However, we have ordered a 2gig stick to replace his current memory with, so soon he'll have 2. :D

Peasley is named for 2 characters that stuck in my mind as I got used to him. Just saying Eee PC reminded me me of an old Junior Woodchucks (a Donald Duck spin-off of Huey, Dewey, and Louie as junior scouts) a comic book. The Duck boys are running a race in order to earn a new badge... long story short, there's a character called "Easey Peasley" (either that or Easy Beasley, I don't remember for certain) and Eee PC sounded like Peasley. The Slocombe in his name is after Mrs. Slocombe from "Are You Being Served?", as the actress who played her died the day I got my dear Eee.

Anyway, I look forward to the many adventures with Peasley. And I look forward to telling you all about our adventures!

No comments: